Exciting things have been happening since our last posting. Our bill, H-3215, has been approved by the House and the Senate in SC. It now goes to Governor Haley for her signature. This bill will set up a task force to study the archaic alimony laws in SC and find ways to reform the laws. They will then create a bill that will suggest proposals for changes to the current alimony laws. The task force will include 3 members of the House and 3 members of the Senate. Some of our members will also sit in on these meetings and make suggestions for change. This is a very important step to our next bill, H-4029, that will include our proposals for changes to the permanent alimony laws. Thank you to all of our members who have been instrumental in helping accomplish this by calling and writing their House Representatives and Senators. We are set to go next year!
PRIMARY LEGISLATIVE GOALS
1) Graded term limits for allocation of alimony payments based on the length of the marriage. At no time should alimony payments exceed more that one half of the length of the marriage with exceptions for mental and physical disability.
2) Alimony should be offset by the amount of spousal Social Security once the ex-spouse is eligible to begin drawing it and by the amount of retirement that is awarded to the ex-spouse if alimony is still being awarded at retirement age.
3) Alimony should end if the ex-spouse's passive or active income exceeds your own.
4) If the payer returns to court to request a reduction in alimony the court can never increase your payments due to your return to court.
5) The second marriage spouse's income should not be considered during alimony settlements.
6) Everyone should have the right to retire without the burden of alimony.
7) Have a durational alimony so people can retire at a reasonable age with a safety valve for those that really need alimony due to physical or mental disabilities.
8) Eliminate the 90 day cohabitation clause and change it to simply "Sharing a household, expenses, and vacations, etc. with another as a romantic couple as witnessed by friends and neighbors will be just cause for alimony to be terminated."
I would like to thank all of our members for their hard work and support. If you would like to join our organization and help us change the archaic laws in South Carolina please click on the "Join Our Cause" button in the upper left hand corner of this web site and sign up. We need all the help that we can get. We are an all volunteer group and no one is paid for their efforts. We are just a group of people who feel that is unfair and unjust to have to pay someone for the rest of your life simply because your marriage failed.
I was interviewed by the Johnathan & Kelly Show on Tuesday January 13 in Columbia. If you would like to hear the Podcasts just click on the links below:
Please contact us if you want to help change the laws in South Carolina. If you are paying permanent alimony you need to join our organization. When you help us you help yourself. You can contact us at www.scalimonyreform.com or e-mail us at
We are a state of South Carolina non-profit association dedicated to modernizing the outdated alimony laws of South Carolina. We are looking for people just like you that would like to join us in our effort. If you feel that the alimony laws in South Carolina are unfair and unjust in today's society, please join us and help us update these archaic laws. We are seeking to change permanent alimony to limited duration alimony with a safety valve for those that really need it due to physical or mental disabilities. You can e-mail us at . You may also call us at 803-531-3002.
Check out the links below for an eye-opening view of how permanent alimony ruins lives.
To see why our movement is so important - check out this new video from YouTube!
But change can happen! Through the efforts of an organization very much like ours
they reformed the alimony laws in Massachusetts in 2011.
Thank you for your support!
We are asking everyone that is interested in assisting us to please make a contribution to help with the cost of our expenses. As you know it takes money to operate a web site, run ads, and travel to Columbia to meet with your representatives and with the media. We plan to run a billboard ad in the future. We would appreciate any donations to help in our operations. As little as $10.00 will help us represent you and help with our operating expenses. We appreciate any and all donations to the cause. Please make all contributions to the following address:
SC Alimony Reform
878 Heyward Dr
Orangeburg, SC 29118